Mead Sales post

I have some ambitious holiday plans for next year, and also a lot of bottles of mead while I barely drink alcohol myself. So. Want mead? I've got mead!

This is a list of things I have tasted and consider to be very tasty. This list might get updated when I've had a chance to taste some batches that have been in storage.

Unless marked differently, these are the prices:
0.25L bottles are €6.50
0.7 L bottles are €15,
1L bottles are €20

Ehle vanilla chocolate - semi sweet, with a subtle cacao and vanille flavour. 6 years old! 17%
0.25 x
0.7  x
1L   x

Ehle chocolate - sweet, with a subtle, delicious cacao flavour. 6 years old! 18%
0.25 x  (€7.50)

Gwyllion - semi-sweet elderberry port. 19.5% vol
0.7  xx

Jove - Sweet apple mead. 18%
0.2  x
0.7  x
1L   xx

Keir - dry raspberry mead. Lightly sparkling 16% vol
0.7  x

Lisidh - Vanilla mead. Semisweet, 17% vol
0.25 x
0.7  x
1L   xxx

Shattered Spankerboom - semi-dry sparkling mead - 16% vol
0.7 xxxx

Tuve - Pine honey mead. Heavy and almost syrupy sweet and a little spicy, 19% - this is much more of an after dinner liquor than a wine!
0.25 x x x  ( €7.50)

Zephyr (The west wind)

- 2.5 liter quince juice
- 1500 gr flower honey
- Water to fill up the 5 liter demijohn
- mead yeast

Racking time

I'm not a lazy brewer, I just like slow mead. 
No, I'm totally lazy. I feel like doing brewing stuff only a couple times a year, because making space in my oddly laid-out house and sanitising everything is such a giant pain. So my meads spend up to half a year in primary, and then in secondary pretty much until I feel motivated to go through the process of collecting and cleaning labels off of enough bottles. 

But this past week somebody gave me 5 kg of quince, and I remember how nicely the Halle batch of quince mead turned out. So I borrowed a steam extractor and chopped fruit and... got a lot of quince juice. Like... a LOT. 8 liter in total. 

Halle was made with 1.5 liter juice, though I expect a lot of this juice will be weaker than that was. So maybe I'll just up the juice ration in the new batch. I need to think about doing some more medium-dry meads, since I'm not brewing for my own tastes - I hardly drink it.

But first I racked the batches I had standing: 

Wuluwaid  - a 2 liter 'heavy' 
Eucalyptus honey and you can taste it, heavy sweet syrupy but with enough depth from the Eucalyptus.
SG 1060
18% - bang on what I expect from my 2 liter batches of heavies.
Added yeast stop and a few drops of oak extract

The Thyme honey one. As expected super dry. Taste note: 'Not bad just dry' (which is saying something coming from me, I don't like dry meads) but in need of a bit of sweet.

SG 1004
15% alcohol
Added yeast stop and 450 gr thyme honey. Still considering some thyme leaves.

Blueberry mead. 
Taste note: A little jetfueley but not bad, sweet enough, just needs to age
SG: 1022
18% alcohol (whoa, did not expect that) 

Added yeast stop

Sage honey mead. Much like Undine - you can smell and taste the sage (mmm spicey) but it's too dry. 
SG: 1002
14% alcohol
Added yeast stop and 450 gr sage honey

Orange mead. I'd never tried this so my taste note is 'Not sure if like?' then I saw the alcohol percentage and understood why it was hard to tell.
I was concerned about it not clearing but it's cleared beautifully. Pecto enzym magic. Of course, I lost a liter of volume from all the pulp. Ah well. 
SG: 1020 (happy!)
21% ¿¡!? alcohol. Whoa. 

Added yeast stop, a small piece of cinnamon and a single clove.


2kg flower honey
Juice of 1kg blueberries
Port yeast


1 l fresh (bottled) orange juice
2 l flower honey
1 tsp pecto enzym
1 tsp mead yeast

The plan is to add cinnamon, clove, vanilla etc to this in secondary fermentation
900 gr thyme honey
450 gr flower honey
Mead yeast

I need to cycle to the beekeeper sometime soon and buy maybe another 900 gr thyme honey - it's pricy but if I'm going to brew with it we should be tasting it. I'm also considering brewing thyme tea and introducing some of that. Or maybe just some thyme leaves?

900gr Sage honey
450 gr forest honey
mead yeast

Same thing with the added honey. Adding 450 gr is not enough - 1800 gr honey is too dry for me on a 5 liter batch. Not sure about adding sage leaves. Raw sage doesn't smell very good to me, so I think I'll leave that and just get some more of the honey

Wuluwaid (2 L) -  Australian rainmaker
900 gr Eucalyptus honey
mead yeast


Quite Windy (needs some time)
sg 1040 
Alcohol 15%

Tuve (yum)

sg 1044 
Alcohol 19%

Lisidh (Eh)
sg 1022 
Alcohol 16%

Shattered Spankerboom   (Don't open before 2016)
sg 1012 
Alcohol 16%
This does NOT want to calm down. Added yeast stopper last year, but the moment I racked it it was fizz city. Also pretty dry and sourish sadly.  Added a small amount of sage honey and bottled in champagne bottles. Should probably leave it at least a year and hope the sour note ages out. 

Jove Apple (Nice)

SG 1040
Alcohol 18%

Ehle Chocolate Vanilla (Nice. Could do with some time)

SG 1024
Alcohol 17%

Ehle Chocolate (Yum yum yum)

SG 1032
Alcohol 18%

And a surprise of the happy accident kind:

Bob Ross 
I made a 200ml bottle of honey syrup at some stage to mix honey into something. Forgot about it and it started to ferment. Needed the bottle and was about to chuck it when I smelled it and - well I would have been happy to smell that from a demijohn. Wild yeast though! It tastes like honey syrup with a very sharp kick.
SG 1170 (!!)
Alcohol 17% 
Put it in a different bottle and added a very small amount of port yeast. Let's see where this goes :-)